Monday, April 19, 2010

Week 19 in El Salvador

April 19, 2010

Hey,

No the capital is not scary, just big, and its really actually more calm than my last area. I’m doing good, and we got our shirts washed in a washing machine, instead of the river, so my shirts have turned white again. I don’t think I’ll wear out my shoes much this change, but yes I can get new ones here, if I need to. One thing I’ll miss is the old cook for us; she had a Papusaria, and made awesome food. Now we get one meal a day, because my companion doesn’t want to help me pay more for a Cocinara, so I’m buying lots of food, and learning how to cook better. I hope you haven’t sent the box yet: send me easy recipes in the box you are about to send, also if you can, send me a Leatherman. I have no clue where mine is, and I don’t want you looking through every box. It’s no hurry if you already sent the box.

I’ll try to get pictures of some of the awesome graffiti. We have some in the area. I love it, but all the people living there hate it.

My Spanish is going to get better this change, so I’m looking forward to being able to speak normal.

How is the family doing? How are my friends doing? Are they all leaving, or are some staying here? I’ve only heard from Maddy and Kendra, and some people in the ward. Tell them all thanks.

So, I’ll have to describe my new companion for you... He’s from Honduras, in the capital, and he feels right at home here. He’s about 6 foot 2 and maybe a hundred pounds. Doesn’t talk a word to anybody, or to me, unless I ask him something. He was trained the last change by a gringo, and now I’m his second companion, or “stepfather”... All the member families say that he never talks either, so I’ve ended up playing the roles of two companions, so I’m extremely tired. Elder Dennis said he liked this area because his zone was cool, but now all of them have moved.

The temperature has changed from this area...its only like 80 degrees, and in the nights, I have to sleep with a blanket.

As for the city, I’m still completely lost. They just opened up a new chapel, and it has two stories, enormous. Its has enough room for a third or fourth basketball court, but there are a lot of rooms. Everyone here has a car, and a house, and extra...and a lot of them have travelled to different parts of the world, just for fun. There is a huge gap in wealth from Zacatecoluca to here, and I think I like the poor people more. I like the attitude of the simpler life.

You should send me photos whenever you can, even of things that seem way normal would be awesome. Still pictures explain more to me than anything else.

Tell Kendra and Maddy thanks for writing me. I don’t think I will have time to do anything this change. I do most of the housework too, while my companion reads, or plays his plastic flute. I asked him if he liked sports, and he replied that he likes chess. I don’t know if I’m going to get time to write them, but tell them thanks. I love hearing from them. I almost forgot all about the Easter bunny, until Maddy told me a story. I think it’s too hot for him to visit here, and the hyena-dogs might eat him. Tell the Easter bunny that I miss him.

That’s probably a good thing that Kendra’s moving back in. Does she still have that baseball bat?

That’s good that Alyssa is still alive and playing in the mud.

Tell Rose that I’ll have to send her a hammock when I get moved to another poor area. The people here use beds and pillows. Sorry she might have to wait.

I’m gonna send this before it deletes on me, chow,

Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact information

Corey’s contact information:

Pouch services through SLC. Letters can only be single sheet, tri-folded and taped shut (no envelopes.)

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

POB 30150

Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0150

USA

Mission address: If sending packages, Corey says it’s safer to put Christian stickers on the front:

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

Centro Comercial 105 Local #204

Paseo General Escalon #105 Ave.Sur

San Salvador, San Salvador

El Salvador


You can also write him through dearelder.com (it's free!)

Followers