Monday, January 25, 2010

Week 7 in El Salvador

I am no longer a gringo...I changed it...so now I’m Alaskenue. People are calling me it now, and for a laugh I correct them when they say gringo. Now at least they can’t cuss at me and yell gringo, they have no clue where Fairbanks is, so I tell them it’s a 15-minute ride from the North Pole.

Yeah, there are earthquakes. The storm caused huge rockslides before I came it. The quakes are small, like Alaska.

Ok, so my new companion is Elder Brandao, from panama. I am realizing how bad my last companion was. My old companion would yell at everything. Every time I would clean, or clean his mess, he would make another. I would study, and he would yell at me to study something different. Constant yelling. I personally had mapped out his face in my mind...where the best place to land a punch would be, but I couldn’t. Everything was constant anger and frustration. With Elder Brandao now, our investigators are opening up. They tell me they were scared of my last companion. Elder Brandao is awesome, the first day we actually cleaned the house, fixed it up, nice and spanky clean. No more toilet paper problem. He has developed a photographic memory, and I’m learning how he thinks. His thinking patterns are much more organized, and I’m learning how he does it. He knows thousands of scriptures, and everyone by name and face. Soon, he will know this area better than me, which is a good thing. He worked in tourism before he came here, so he knows how to be patient.

I just got the package from mom on Thursday--it takes 29 days. Thanks for the shirt, I love it. And the pillowcase...I need to find a pillow for it. The candy I gobbled up. And I got the memory.

As for my sickness: a member gave me a hunk of garlic to swallow, and some local medicine drink. I don’t know what it was, but I am perfectly healthy now. She says to repeat the garlic every week, so that I can adjust to the food. My stomach can handle their ice, and I can actually brush my teeth with their water now.

So, there are so many sister missionaries in El Salvador, that the president is sending others home early. Have you ever heard of that??

One joke----NBA basketball.... to the Latinos it means Negros Bastante Altos...or extremely tall black people. NBA.

I know I’ve told you a little about the buses, but sometime I should get a video. If they have a bad tire, which happens a lot, they will pull over to the side of the road, take the tire off, take the tire off the rim with a pry bar, and put a new tire onto an old rim, and take off again. These tires reach up to my waist, and they do it in a matter of 10 minutes depending how good they are. I think it’s awesome every time.

We went to a guy’s house the other day, and he had some coconuts. He took his three-foot machete in one hand and the coconuts in the other. Standing up (without a table), he cut perfect hole in the coconuts for us and we had our dinner. His skill is as cool as the guy that cleans fish in Valdez.

I got your package, and loved it. I love the pictures. Tell Jared to play hockey really good, his hair has to go down to his shoulders. I love the boat. Why do you taunt me with pictures of caramel?...just kidding, loved that picture too. One question..Is it at all possible to send peanut butter and honey?

Another thing. In his last area, my companion was robbed, he doesn’t have a way to get money, so I’ve been supporting both of us with my shuirch card. If this goes on, my supply wont be sufficient, so I might end up using my other cards. Just a heads up.

My old companion has been moved to the capital, and this is his last transfer. So thrilled. There will be good times, and there will be bad times. Thanks for the support.

Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact information

Corey’s contact information:

Pouch services through SLC. Letters can only be single sheet, tri-folded and taped shut (no envelopes.)

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

POB 30150

Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0150

USA

Mission address: If sending packages, Corey says it’s safer to put Christian stickers on the front:

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

Centro Comercial 105 Local #204

Paseo General Escalon #105 Ave.Sur

San Salvador, San Salvador

El Salvador


You can also write him through dearelder.com (it's free!)

Followers