Monday, January 4, 2010

Week 4 in El Salvador

Yes, my sense of humor is my way of coping for now. I can’t believe I’m missing Twin Bears.

So, I’ve been healthy for a week. The parasites finally finished construction on my gut. I’ve got a steel intestine now. The first couple weeks they just constructed a bypass route, and my insides were on rinse cycle for a while.

New Years was interesting: We just got to nap. Lots of explosions. Paper everywhere, because of the bombs. Lots of fireworks too. And drunks--nobody intelligent to talk to. The drunks are funny, especially when they try to rob you. They’ll stop you, hold you down, and ask for money. I gave him a dime, and he cheered up. He was like "hey man, sorry, but I just had to rob you...anyways how’s it goin? How’s life? Thanks for the money..." It’s the weirdest thing. A dime will buy them like ten more booze, and that’s all they want. Also for New Years, all the graffiti artists get carried away---they painted all the baby chickens bright pink. I loved it.

Sorry. My message will be short today. I have to hold up the monitor with one hand, and type with the other so it doesn’t turn off.

So something happened this week. I’m not sick. I’m beginning to like the food. It all tastes good now, except for the queso duro... which is like brick form of Parmesan cheese. And my Spanish clicked finally. I’m about as fluent as Alyssa is at English. Still, sometimes during meetings I won’t catch anything. A lot of communication is already knowing what is going on. And I’m clueless. I sit in meetings, just as bored as an oyster, but other than that my Spanish has taken a leap.

So my companion broke one member’s piggy bank on accident. We spent the day counting out 1600 dollars in dimes and nickels. I’ll have to send the picture.

I miss the cold.

So one more thing. I’m tired of naked people. It’s the norm. They breastfeed in public, during a discussion. One church member we always visit is sprawled out naked in her hammock every time we visit. Very different customs. I’m sure that when I return, nothing will surprise me.

Anyway. Hammock is a funny word. There are two words--hamoco...booger and hamaca...hammock. I said the first one in the sentence---I want to buy this booger.

Yeah. So start using my regular email too. I won’t check it as much as this, but things are getting deleted.

I’m glad you like the pictures...so I can’t get pictures this week. This computer is too old. It’s going extinct, and if it doesn’t die on me now, it will for sure by the time I leave. I already broke the monitor stand, trying to fix it, and it’s now sitting at an angle. Oh, how I love computers. My favorite.

P-day is starting to be used as a way to recultivate my English. And play some soccer. Theses guys are good, but I can still almost keep up with them.

siempre estoy sudando...es una problemita para me. I got a little dehydrated yesterday. I learned that I could chug three liters of orange Fanta at once. People were wondering what was wrong with my stomach, cause it was distended from all the liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact information

Corey’s contact information:

Pouch services through SLC. Letters can only be single sheet, tri-folded and taped shut (no envelopes.)

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

POB 30150

Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0150

USA

Mission address: If sending packages, Corey says it’s safer to put Christian stickers on the front:

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

Centro Comercial 105 Local #204

Paseo General Escalon #105 Ave.Sur

San Salvador, San Salvador

El Salvador


You can also write him through dearelder.com (it's free!)

Followers