Sunday, December 27, 2009

2nd Week in El Salvador

Sorry that I don't have much time to write this week, 'cause I got the bad computer again.

I'm doing better than last week. It was a bit of a shock having all the guys look at me like they want to kill me, and all the girls look at me like they want to rape me, and use me as a U.S. visa.

So, gross story of the week:

I'm still sick, right, and we don't own toilet paper, until next month, but it's ok, because my companion doesn't flush his toilet paper, he just leaves it on the floor. Long story short, I was able to find some semi-white toilet paper.

So everything is smaller here. The horses only come up to my nipples, the people come up to my chin. the only thing that's bigger is the bugs. I'm constantly trying to move out of the way so they don't squish me.

We had a spider in the house the other day. It was about the size of a tarantula, but it wasn't, and it was poisonous. We killed it, and the ants had eaten it by the next morning. This place is crazy.

It's actually smelling better now, because it rained and all the poop cleared out of the streets. It's so much more beautiful.

I might have told you, but there is a really cool looking volcano right next door. I'll have to take a picture sometime, when I'm not in such a poor spot of town.

So an interesting thing happened. The president ordered the police forces to shoot the gang members on sight. The police are now carrying fully automatic weapons, along with their shotguns. One guy almost got killed, because the police thought he had a gang tattoo under his shirt. They had him pinned up against a wall, with their guns out. The guy was clean though.

So, I've decided that I know nothing at all. Sometimes I can help in the lesson, and my companion ends up repeating what I say, or I have no clue. People from Guatemala are so much easier to understand. The accent in El Salvador is slurred, so it's hard to pick up on.

I'm getting to know the members, but still I'm completely lost in my area.

They call me the baby missionary. Hopefully I can pick this up soon.

I don't think I'll get time to draw while I'm here, at least not until I get the scriptures and language down. There is no down time. I'll see what I can do though. I'm probably gonna take Tom's classes again when I get back.

So I swear there are no laws in this country, except against the gangs. There are also very few mission rules. The Mission president says we can listen to Metallica, as long as it is uplifting to us. On Sundays we watch movies with members, while having dinner. Movies like Polar Express and Terminator. I didn't even think it was allowed to do that, but all the missionaries in this mission do it.

So everyone here wants to become like the United States. There is a huge movement. Music, cars, technology, but only for the rich. I'm starting to love latino Rap, which i have to say is way cooler than US rap, because its mixed with salsa and latino brands of music.

For the people that can afford it here the cars are all tricked out. LEDs spinners, you name it. They like Hondas and toyotas, and half of them have huge radios, like the size of speakers on our tv in the living room, and the speakers are strapped to the tops of the cars. And what's funn is they all spend more money on cars than their houses. They blast spanish rap, and music from the states. Everyone here loves their music.

I'm fine, I just say this stuff cause its new and its hilarious. Keep feeding me back my friends comments. I like to hear from them. Tell Matt I got his letter---I guess they do forward dear Elder, but it takes a while. Tell him thanks--now I know for sure you are all alive up there. I'll try to send more pictures, but I don't have much time today, and these computers are older than me, so I'll try to figure this out again.

There are tons of these little furballs around, and tons of chickens and turkeys, and dogs. Animals everywhere. I saved this cat from my companion. [Referring to a picture]

The second is of one of the bridges in Zacatecoluca. It's made out of old pieces of doors and windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact information

Corey’s contact information:

Pouch services through SLC. Letters can only be single sheet, tri-folded and taped shut (no envelopes.)

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

POB 30150

Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0150

USA

Mission address: If sending packages, Corey says it’s safer to put Christian stickers on the front:

Elder Corey Day

El Salvador San Salvador East Mission

Centro Comercial 105 Local #204

Paseo General Escalon #105 Ave.Sur

San Salvador, San Salvador

El Salvador


You can also write him through dearelder.com (it's free!)

Followers